Thursday, February 23, 2012

Throwback

There are some jobs that existed long before the Industrial Revolution.  These iconic roles are so embedded in human consciousness that everyone has a sense of what they mean.  We can picture the work of a soldier or priest without difficulty.  Say a person is a farmer or carpenter, and your listener will understand. Physicians, musicians, politicians--all familiar.  Cultural connections surrounding this work have solidified.

For the first time in my life I hold such a position.  What I do every day has been done by others for hundreds and even thousands of years.  The incidentals have changed, of course.  Most of my predecessors did not deal with social media marketing or flat screen TVs, but they probably did encounter unanticipated requests or demands as well as a combined environment for business and personal affairs.  This has generated an unforeseen perk to the job.  No more quizzical looks or ten minute explanations that bear little fruit.  What do I do?  I am an innkeeper.




No comments:

Post a Comment